Sunday, October 31, 2004

I REGRET NOTHING

"Will I regret missing this?" The weight of consequence varies for everyone, but that question captures the conflict of decision. This is a good thing. I'm not alone in my fear of reaching old age and being filled with regret over some of the lost opportunities of my youth.

Lately I've noticed an insidious trend: a lot of people have been talking about regret like it doesn’t exist anymore. The “No Regret” credo has been hijacked to justify reckless impulses, reject responsibility, and suppress overwhelming insecurities. Instead of being used to make decisions, it's abused as the ultimate excuse. "I don't regret anything." It's a beautiful self-fulfilling logic: I can do whatever I want if I don't regret it later.

It's time to grow up. Chronic denial is the surest sign of a weak mind.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My other favorite one is "it's the way I am." Congratulations: realization of your overbearing flaws is the first step towards overcoming them. Identification is not tantamount to justification. I really think personal accountability is going out of style.

In any case, your insights are both intelligent and articulate, you beautiful bastard, you.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home